As the days get cooler and the nights get longer, cups of tea with a slice of cake tend to replace summer smoothies and ice cream. This recipe is so easy that it only takes 5 minutes to put together which is basically the time that the oven takes to heat!
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 100g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- grated rind and juice of a lemon
- 100g granulated sugar
- Weigh out all your ingredients and preheat the oven to 160°C (fan)
- Beat together the softened butter and caster sugar either with a wooden spoon or in a mixer.
- Add the flour, baking power and eggs and mix well.
- Add the milk and lemon zest and beat well until the mixture is smooth and pale in colour.
- Line a 20cm cake tin and pour the mixture in.
- Cook for about 30 minutes or until the edges start to brown slightly.
- While the cake is cooking, mix together the granulated sugar and lemon juice.
- Once the cake is cooked, make a few small holes in the top with a skewer and pour on the sugar and lemon juice mixture.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin so the cake can absorb the liquid and the sugar on top goes crispy.