Roasted hazelnuts are iconic within Brambly Hedge and have so many uses. This time, we decided to incorporate them in to shortbread as it’s a great way of celebrating their wonderful earthy flavour. There’s no need to be restricted to hazelnuts here either-why not try almonds or pecan nuts, both of which are transformed when roasted. Enjoy!
- 180g plain flour
- 120g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan). Once the oven is hot, put the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast them for 8-10 minutes or until just golden. Allow to cool.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth, and then mix in the flour.
- Put the roasted hazelnuts in to a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Mix the nuts in to the rest of the ingredients and bring the mixture together.
- Roll the mixture out on a floured surface until it’s about 1cm thick and cut into shapes. You may need to sprinkle a little flour on top if it is hard to handle.
- Re-roll the remaining mixture and repeat the process.
- Place on a lined baking tray and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack and sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar.