Apple cake is wonderfully versatile because you can add pretty much anything you like to the basic recipe. In this case, we have added cinnamon and caraway seeds but you could try some toasted nuts or a handful of raisins if caraway isn’t your thing. The flavour isn’t overpowering in any case but just omit the seeds if you’d rather.
- 10oz self raising flour
- 10oz butter
- 10oz caster sugar
- 2 medium cooking apples
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160°fan and grease and line a round springform cake tin.
- Blitz together the flour and the butter until you have rough breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and combine.
- Add the four eggs, one at a time, stirring well in-between each addition.
- Peel, core and chop the apples in to small chunks, and add them to the cake mixture along with the cinnamon and caraway seeds.
- Pour the mixture in to the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin and serve slightly warm or cold with lashings of cream!